8.31.2012

School


Senior year. Crazy, huh? 

So far, I adore it. I'm only taking classes I like- gov/econ, eng, jazz band- and my teachers are all really pretty chill. It’s great, I don't feel like I'm getting dumber in school, and I’m very pleased.

My English teacher in particular, who is notorious for his obsession with the Beatles, is absolutely off his rockers. He actually looks and dresses like a Beatles member- long, curly hair, blazer, leather shoes, and a flamboyant gait. There are no rules or tests in class and he lectures all period (with colorful language) about the oddities and ironies of human nature and American culture. He’s the type of teacher that doesn’t take crap from students and some of his goals are to share 60’s music with his students and free us from the credit-grubbing, politically-correct mentality that previous teachers have instilled into us. Sometimes I’m scared that an administrator will peek in and hear what he’s saying and he’ll get fired and not be able to impart his wisdom unto us anymore… It’s all very fascinating- let me know if you guys want me to share some of his rants on here, and I’ll be happy to take notes. Also, he has an upright piano and plays it during class at random intervals. I love him. :D

My favorite class though, is jazz band. What are you doing in jazz band?!, you might ask. Well dear reader, I wanted to get out of my comfort zone, and was inspired by some of Leland’s past jazz concerts, so boom. I can now play jazz violin?
Well, sort of. Jazz improvisation is a whole, new musical language/world to me and it was extremely tough to release myself from the conservatory-correctness of classical music, but it is so rewarding once you start learning and absorbing everything. There are so many new rules, and so many ones that are broken. This seemingly lawless music is all about creativity, imagination, good vibes, and everything else music should be about. There’s also a LOT of theory involved, but at the end of the day you play what sounds good. It’s so different from what I’ve been playing before, and I’m infatuated. I’m so in love with it that I’m considering taking it seriously in college, alongside my classical studies.

Speaking of classical music, I think I’m pretty good for my college prescreenings coming up. I got my Sibelius, Bach, and Paganini down for the most part. The technical bits in the Paganini caprice are tripping me up still, but it’s so fun to play so I don't mind. And I’ll be performing for Midori towards the end of Sept… nerve-racking but exciting! Will let you guys know how that turns out.

By the way, I miss you Arcadia folks a bunch. I’m still a loner here, but I’m working on it. You guys will always occupy a special place in my heart, though. Let me know how you are doing with life and school! 

No comments: