5.22.2008

911

"When to Call 911:Sometimes people are confused about when to call an emergency number like 911. These are examples of when not to call:
-you can't find your favorite toy or your homework from last night -your cat got into a fight with another cat
-your brother or your friend dares you to call
-you have a nasty hangnail"
Rofl. Okay, that was posted on kidshealth.com when I searched for "call 911".

I was on the 210 freeway when I saw this Middle-Eastern man wildly waving and jabbing the standard Hawaiian greeting next to his ear on the right shoulder. Next to him was this crappy-looking red car, with its hood and trunk open. Turning to my dad for advice, he told me to dial 911 to help that kid.
At the time, I thought it was pretty cool. Not for the poor guy, but for me. I mean, there aren't very many chances to call 911. I dialed 911 on my BLACKJACK 2, and waited for someone to answer. I thought that the call would be forwarded to the dispatch immediately, but I was told to press 1 for blahblahblah.
Ok.
Then, I was told to wait, due to a high volume of callers.
Ok.
...Slightly disappointing.But not too bad.

After 5 or so tones,the same female voices commanded me to wait.
WAIT?!
WHAT IF I WAS DYING?
GETTING A HEART ATTACK?!
TRAMPLED BY ZEBRAS?!
BURNED AT STAKE BY SOME MOFO CLOWN?!
5 blips.
"Please wait, our dispatch is recieving a high number of calls."
"[same thing in Espanol]"
WTH.
5 beeps.
LOLOLWTF.
FINALLY, after like 3 minutes, a voice answered.
"Hello, this is 911, please tell us your nature and location."
"Uhmmm, there's this funky guy on the 210 freeway between the exits Santa Anita and Baldwin, and he was waving with his apparantly jacked up car beside him. Erm, I think he needs help."
"Is he on the right shoulder?"
"Yeah"
"Thanks, we'll send someone over right away."
FASTER THAN THIS CALL TOOK, I HOPE.
-Kat