4.30.2009

Boy to Man to Boy; Supernaturals vs. E.T.'s

*apologies; haven't been posting lately due to some trips out of state and a violin competition in which I achieved no place. But that's okay, I did my best and had fun, right?


17 Again





Before you jump to conclusions, I'm letting you know that this was the most convenient showing that was available when I arrived at the movie theater (in LV again).

Anyhow, 17 Again is another typical storyline featuring a grown guy magically turning young again, gets used to pubescent body, finds reason of anti-aging, procures love again...etc.
Except here, a middle-aged guy about to divorce supernaturally becomes his former high-school self via a "spirit-god", and helps his teenage kids hook up (and break up), and makes up to his wife at the end.
Wait, that sounds familiar...

As for the movie;
PROS:
-The occasional laugh. The sporadic genuine bits of humor are actually...humorous!
-The plot has a steady pace. There aren't dead spots.

CONS:
-The extremely typical storyline. Didn't I mention that already?
-The stereotyping is overly exaggerated, though that pretty much goes for all movies involving a school. Ragh.
-Contrary to TIME's analysis, Efron doesn't exactly mature as an actor, as another pro-basketball, social, wins-all-the-girls character.

-An overall meh.


Monsters vs. Aliens
...



...Pulled the last string in watching animated movies for me.
Seriously, it barely met my expectations.
Of course, the occasional genius like WALL-E will bloom, but
goodness, MvsA sucked.
Even in 3-D!

The plot was very childish, though the script tried to entertain its adult audience with references like Area 51, Al Gore, and "What would Oprah do?".
It phailed, nevertheless.

2 comments:

SpazJaz said...

I didn't even see 17 the first time!

And hasn't the man to boy nostalgia hindsight theme been done to death?

I wish I were 17 again. Oh shi-, wait. Hold on, didn't I do this joke already?

SpazJaz said...

What, Wall-E is bad?

Wall-E was great, fool!