1.31.2011

Free Röyksopp downloads

http://royksopp.com/track-of-the-month

Royksopp is a pretty decent electronica duo and if you know me well, that's saying a lot because I'm usually very picky when it comes to electronic music (house is my favorite).
The main distinctions I make between good and bad electronic music is based on the development of a melodic line, repetition, and the vulnerability and emotions that the music conveys. Royksopp does a fair job of developing various themes so that the music isn't overly repetitive, and in accompanying my happy/sad moods.
Oh, and they're from Norway.



There are only two other electronic groups that I respect- Daft Punk and Ratatat. A lot of people say that DP is overrated, but I think they're fabulous because their music can be indescribably euphoric (see "Aerodynamics", and their live album Alive 2007) or indescribably nostalgic ("Something About Us" has this incredible bass line that makes me cry and want to play the electric bass). They- they're just awesome.
Ratatat on the other hand, is extremely underrated. They exhibit a very distinct sound that sets them far apart from other groups, and have this happy-but-sad vibe to their music that I'm really attracted to. However, Ratatat has a lot to learn from big electronic hits like DP, because they need to expand their musical horizons and not just be limited to one kind of sound.

2 comments:

SpazJaz said...

Deadmau5

Kat. said...

Deadmau5 makes great dance music, but I'd prefer more emotional depth and room for interpretation. The same goes for Benassi.