1.28.2011

Is it just me or do British rock stars last longer

than American musicians?

I mean there's the Rolling Stones, Jimmy Page, Pink Floyd (Roger Waters is just SWIMMING in money right now), Queen, Sting, Beatles (Lennon! McCartney!), Led Zepp, Eric Clapton, Bono (fine, he's Irish, whatever), and many more...
I'm not saying the U.S. doesn't produce their fair share of musical talent (We've got Hendrix and Aerosmith and Guns and Roses!) but for some reason many modern bands, especially from the U.S., seem to fade away very easily. Where AFI go? Taking Back Sunday? Red Jumpsuit Apparatus? Foo Fighters? I know I'm listing a lot of bands with one time hits, but it just seems to me that musicians here have a harder time leaving a legacy than our European counterparts.
Also, I think if any modern band out there is definitely going to remain somewhat of a legend, it's Coldplay. (Yes, they're English too.) You can also kind of make a case for other bands like Green Day or even Muse, but Coldplay's music has that rare vulnerability in their music that is more obvious in great classical musicians, like Yo Yo Ma. They'll last.



1 comment:

SpazJaz said...

Hah! It's funny because British rock musicians were shit until the American rock wave rolled on over there.