1.30.2009

Shopping... for string instruments!

James asked me where to purchase a new violin (his was rusty??) and it's a frequently asked question, so I thought I might cover it here.

The majority of you get your stringed instruments and supplies from Johnny Thompson's.
If you do, then
you are a NOOOOOB.

Johnny Thompson's instruments are not only crappy, but over-priced as well. Many of their bows and instruments are awful, and yet they are expensive. Their stuff sucks. And they're pricey.
Get the idea now?
Trust me, their instruments are totally not worth their value.

If Thompson's is mediocre, then where else can you go?
Well...


Robert Cauer's
is my favorite violin shop. Not only did I buy my violin from there, but I can always trade it in as well. Their service is WONDERFUL, and the shop owner, Robert Cauer (go figure), is highly dedicated to his work. His attention to your needs and requests is amazing, so you'll always leave the shop satisfied. Their inventory is constantly refreshed, which benefits the trade-in aspects, because you can always look at thier newer additions and trade-in your old violin (that was purchased from their shop).

Studio City Music (Benning Violins)
This shop is well-known for the celebrities that visit here (namely Joshua Bell). The shop owner, Eric Benning, has worked for Heifetz before, so he's very experienced, and his repairs are verrrryyy niice. The downside is that their instruments are a bit overpriced, but good nonetheless.

Hans Weisshar
They sell nice bows!
Their violins are meh.
But they have good bows!
I haven't tried repairing anything here, so I won't comment on that.

Thomas Metzler
Mmm, Metzler's stuff is kind of pricey. The instruments and bows are all average. Unlike other shops though, they have a lot of sheet music in stock, so they're a well-rounded business.
I haven't tried repairing anything at this shop, so I won't comment on that.


All the shops mentioned above sell instruments and do repairs. They lend out instruments/bows for about 2-3 weeks. They also sell cellos and violas, along with violinsss. I'm not sure whether you can trade-in at all of them, but you can always call to confirm. All of the shops' personnel are extremely courteous and helpful (usually).
The only thing that I can promise from these shops, is that they are all FAR better than Thompson's. Guarenteed.


Further Info:

Robert Cauer's: http://www.cauer.com/
2242 Cahuenga Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90068
323-460-6815
By appointment only (b/c they're so popular!)

Studio City: http://www.benningviolins.com/
11340 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA. 91604
(818)762-1374
Tues-Fri 8am-5pm,Sat 8am-4:00pm
Closed Sunday & Monday

H. Weisshar: http://www.hweisshaar.com/
627 North Larchmont Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90004
(323) 466-6293
Tues-Sat
10-6pm
and by appointment

Metzler's: http://www.metzlerviolins.com/
604 S. Central Ave.
Glendale, CA 91204
1-888-VIOLINS
Tues-Sat 10-6pm




[EDIT:] Also, I was absolutely flabbergasted when Morton the other day praised on how beautiful the new violins looked, not sounded.
Music is sound, not appearances.
You can have this 200-yr-old effed-up looking violin, but still get an amazing tone from it.
That's why when you're judging an instrument, you should play it.

When trying out a violin consider these aspects:
- playability
- comfort
- tone (the sound !!)
Don't let others judge for you, because everyone's preference is different. Just because a violin is expensive and made by some famous violinmaker doesn't mean it's right for you.

10 comments:

SpazJaz said...

Thanks for the guide. :D

Referred James to this post.

Referred him so hard, his grandchildren will be going, "Don't shop at Johnny Thompson'!"

lan mao said...

O rly!
I haven't bought any violin from the US for a while though.
I hate double stops!
I HATE DOUBLE STOPS.

Kat. said...

I used to hate double stops, but with a crapload of practice and phail attempts, I get them!

Except for octaves; they're hard (and hurtful to the pinky :<)

Anonymous said...

Thanks xD

Anonymous said...

But have you thought of something CHEAP?

Kat. said...

All of the shops sell violins ranging starting around $100.
Any violin that's worth less should be burned and used as firewood.

Anonymous said...

LOL. You're so nice Kathleen....
Oh! I saw this store today
I saw "Music" and a violin, I was about to go in, but I saw "Johnny Thompson" and I was like lol.....

lan mao said...

Shredded and used as excelsior!

SpazJaz said...

Well of course, Kathleen, this being a middle school band with a very limited budget, he's not going to go around browsing for instruments, playing every last one. He's going for durability here, and yes, a little bit of appeareance.

Kat. said...

W/e.
I'm just saying what's best for his musician-ship.