12.17.2009

Back! After Dying and Reincarnating Into a Reindeer Just in Time for the Holidays

I am sorry for the delay of this post. I put a lot of effort into this one, so hopefully that'll make it up. I'm also ditching math hw for this so APPRECIATE ME.
Also I may edit this later when I forget to mention something; I'm writing this off the top of my head. A lot happened to me so far!

..
October was crazy. The finals, most importantly, drove me into a fit when I realized I had to study for a final for a class that I just popped in two weeks prior. So that was the cause of most sleep deprivation. Along with that I had two auditions, two weeks within each other for chamber music programs armed with Bach and Sarasate. Both events fared pretty well; I pwned the finals and was accepted into both programs with plenty of benefits to reap...(Going to Carnegie Hall with my JCM group in April!)

I also attended my first (partial) football and second baseball game.
Actually, I went to AHS vs. BHS just for band's last field show (and my first), so I only saw a snippet of footballing, which was rather intriguing considering the fact that I have zip knowledge of ftbll besides "TOUCHDOWN". We were winning when I was there, but started losing when I left. Ha!


Baseball, it seems, is much more exciting live than on the telly...
The ear-splitting crowd and high expectations and tension is ambient throughout the stadium.
I went to the championships- Angels vs. Yankees (media pass woo!). It was literally packed- the massive parking lot was a sea of cars.
Angels was obviously getting creamed every single inning, but I enjoyed THE GAME nevertheless.


November didn't exactly start off with a bang. I entered a high level music competition and returned with nothing. Of course, my parents were disappointed and wanted push me more than they were. In the traditional Chinese way of thinking, to improve is to work harder. And the work harder is to invest more time into something. My dad brought up homeschooling again, and took me to a homeschooling expert to try to sway me. You guys know that I wouldn't succumb.
Thus, my dad created a schedule that I had to follow every weekday. Here's how it goes:
12:30-1:30: Get home from school; nom.
1:30-4:30: violin
4:30-5: practice ballet
5-6: more violin
6-7: nom, some "free time" that will actually be piano time
7-9: more violin more more more
9-10:30: homework
11: curfew- in bed, lights out.

The rigorous enforcement of this spartan lifestyle was far from what I wanted... But with threats of homeschooling, I could not refuse.
As of now, the schedule became a habit, and I am actually getting a lot more done.
However, I am sapped of energy practically everyday. Give me 5 hour energy for Christmas guys :v

Speaking of ballet, I started taking classes! It's more fun than it seems- after all, it is a dance correlating with MUSIC. I'm still a noob, but my awesome instructor is amazingly patient and helpful, so I'm catching up!

On a different note, I attended Lang Lang's recital in Walt Disney Concert Hall and it was breath-taking. Some people say that his playing is prodigal in terms of expression, but I believe that his dramatic interpretations should be the golden standard for not just pianists, but all musicians.
I also got an autograph and a picture with him later that evening... I'll put the picture up when I finally figure out how to get it from cell-> computer without a USB cord (no emails either!). Grabbing the opportunity, I asked Lang Lang, "What do you think makes you different from other musicians?" He responded, bewildered, "I don't know! I hope I knew!" /facepalm One question wasted arghhh!

The highlight of December so far for me, was my first opera @ Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in the LA Music Center. I saw the Barber of Seville by Rossini and it was very entertaining! Spongebob and popular media leads us to think that opera singers are composed of overweight ladies in queer costumes belting out industinguishable screams, but it is so much more than that.
The way I see it, opera is simply a musical play/story told with a lot of opera singing. It is not much different than the modern musical, besides the obvious. (Subtitles are needed b/c the opera is in Italian)
The Barber of Seville centers around a young, handsome count, "Lindoro", and his crush, the ward of evil Doctor Bartolo- "Rosina". Frenzied with love, Lindoro (Count Almaviva) is desperate to meet her, and finds a trusty friend to aid him- Figaro, the barber of Seville. Together, they plot to trespass the palace under surveillance by Bartolo to meet Rosina, which is highly amusing in the process (it involves Lindoro acting as a drunk soldier).
Upon viewing this, I was quite surprised how silly and hilarious 18th-century Italian operas were... In fact, I loved it! Take me to an opera anytime!
I highly recommend seeing this, even though it's quite expensive for a decent ticket. It's worth the experience down to every penny. The acting, music, and the beautiful stagecraft are just so win.

Speaking of plays, I went to the AHS "Noises Off!" by the ADD (Advanced Drama Department). Though the acting could've been more controlled- I am perpetually appalled at the high level of our arts department- first the superior performance by band, and now this.
Maybe the cause is low expectations from middle school, lawl.


I am so blessed to have participated in so many events. In fact, I am really lucky.
Life would be perfect if it weren't for the plagues of high standards from my parents and my diminishing progress in violin. My intonation is stuck in a rut and my fingers just don't seem to correlate.

Speaking of violin, I have to cut this post now and go practice.
In my next post, I'll detail the AKC dog show I visited on my bday and maybe some of my current repertoire, but it might be a while before that appears due to 2 v. lessons, 2 recitals, and 2 rehearsals coming up for me in the next 5 days.

Keep in touch (no matter how busy I am)! :3

15 comments:

SpazJaz said...

The only musicals and operas I've ever seen are.

Let's see.

Barber of Seville and Wicked.

SpazJaz said...

*Prodigial, not prodigal.

Prodigal refers to the fatted calf parable >:O

Ouch about the low performances bit though. :D

Kat. said...

Prodigial is not a word.

Tanya said...

NEW POST Kathleen I love you! (no homo, ahaha)

you have an amazingly interesting, if not stressful life.
thank you for taking the time to post :)

ps. let's have a de-stressing session over winter break.

SpazJaz said...

I think only Tanya would use the phrase "no homo" who's not a perverted guy.

SpazJaz said...

Prodigious, then.

Also, there are EXPERTS on homeschooling? Like, wtf.

bnmhj520 said...

Have fun with violin practice.

....... said...

AHA vs. BHS
not BUR

and thank you for the post!!!!!

Tanya said...

Jason, Kathleen wrote that on my birthday card!

SpazJaz said...

I LOL'D.

SpazJaz said...

Also, Austin, I thought it was AHS?

....... said...

iPod spelling error
keyboard is less than 2 inches
cut me some slack
*AHS vs BHS

SpazJaz said...

Son, I am disappoint.

Anonymous said...

Figaro Figaro Figaro!

SpazJaz said...

Spongebob, huh?