12.31.2009

Last movie hop of 09

My sis and I ripped AMC off of a total of $30. :3


SHERLOCK HOLMES

Holmes would have been borderline to meh if it was not alleviated by Robert Downey Jr's impeccable acting- the slightly zany and extremely logical personality was perfectly embodied. Downey is your ideal modern Sherlock. Watson, his right-hand man, was excellent as well.
I am not aware of how reliable this film is to the original books, for my memory has disposed of mystery novels long ago, but as a movie, it passes my standards. Although a little tedious when Holmes analyzes the moves that he'll inflict on his enemy, the action/violence (LOL) is fair.
All in all this was a good movie, but nothing more.




AVATAR
...in my opinion, was disastrous.
First off, the movie was too long. I lost my interest halfway, and wanted to doze off near the finale. Please, don't ever make 2 hr 40 min movies unless they are pre-approved (BY KORPORATE KAT).
Secondly, the plot was too far-fetched. Before you flame me, I know this is a fantasy/scifi/whatever movie, and of course things will get a little irrational! On the contrary, my mind likes to function logically, and having a battle in which one party has hXc machine guns and explosives, and the other with bows and arrows and some colorful animals who actually WIN is not logical. (E.g. Native Americans vs. European settlers, GER vs. RUS in WWI, IMPERIALISM, etc.) Aiyaiyai.
Thirdly, the villain and the villain's goal was too cliche. It was disappointing.
On the bright side, if you're a fan of fantastic visuals, go for it. Pandora would be breath-taking if you lived in it (esp. by night!).



UP IN THE AIR

Although Up in the Air had superb actors/actresses and very thoughtful meanings/morals, drama on the whole does not appeal to me. I'm sorry, but I cannot stand drama. If I did though, this would be an excellent drama film. The plot is well-contructed and paced, the characters performed beautifully, and for a lot of us, the message of the story is a wake-up call. So yes, I would recommend this IF you like this genre.

13 comments:

Tanya said...

I love how we went through half of 7th grade thinking Watson's name was actually Winston.

SpazJaz said...

Elementary, dear Watson?

....... said...

2 posts in 1 month??? :D
and I could not agree more! Avatar was terrible. I mean, realitistically, the army would probably nuke the blue things from space, then mine whatever minerals were left, since diplomacy was obviously not a great decision. Honestly, throughout the entire film I was thinking "Burn you little blue freaks! BURN!"

thanks kat
you just saved me from writing a (FULL) review (seriously, I got on to do so)

bnmhj520 said...

Avatar is terrible. I really didn't want to see 2 freaky blue cat people having sex under a tree which holds the spirits of their ancestors.

Kat. said...

In other news, I watched Inglorious Basterds.
That film pwn'd the above said.

SpazJaz said...

Who wants to live in a nuclear wasteland?

I DO, I DO.

Survival instincts, Austin.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but he's right; nukes make no sense. I don't think anyone wants to nuke a mother lode of minerals that they desire to mine.

Haven't watched it myself, but it seems like a love-it-or-hate-it type of movie. Oddly, all the haters I've ever seen/heard from/read are here.

....... said...

They tried to blow the place to hell in the movie,
just failed epically.
I think they'd try again.
Maybe that's just me.

Anonymous said...

Portland Oregonian
Review by Shawn Levy
Excerpt-
"Is it a great movie? Maybe not. But it is a great step forward in moviemaking. Shrug it off if that makes you feel better, but starting today you live in a post-Avatar movie world."
At least that's good :D.

....... said...

i hope that doesn't mean all future movies will be this bad =(

SpazJaz said...

They will if you keep killing off all our good Hollywood guys.

Seriously, Heath Ledger? Not cool, Austin. Stay away from our suicidal instinct ray in the future.

....... said...

Hey, that was an accident. And i was aiming for Christian Bale......

SpazJaz said...

@bnmhj520:

Hey, ecological voyeurism from beyond the grave.

You, my friend, have pioneered a new entry into the Rule 34 archives.